Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!!!!

So. I has only taken me a year, but I've finally figured out what I can share with the world through my blog.
I always thought that I knew and understood farming. The little town that I grew up in is surrounded by cornfields and farms. I went to school with farm kids, and the crops growing in the fields were the ever changing, yet steady almost rhythmic, backdrop to my life.
I thought I knew how farming worked. It never seemed too complicated. In the spring you plant, over the summer the crops grow, and in the fall you harvest. What more could there be to it?
Then I met Austin.
Austin was raised on a farm, and since I've met him he has taught me that there is more to farming than knowing how to drive a tractor. It is a way of life. He has taught me things about farming that I never realized before.
Which got me thinking. I grew up in a community where farming was a big deal. The state of the local crops was local conversation. If it turns out that I really didn't know much about farming, then how could someone who didn't grow up or live in rural community like mine know? Probably not a whole lot.
That was the train of thought that lead me here. My new year's resolution is to post a blog each week about our farm. What we do on a week by week basis to help explain what farming is and how it works. I've learned a lot in the almost two years that Austin and I have been together. But there is still so much yet to learn. Through my blog, I can share what I learn with everyone, and maybe even learn a little bit more in the process.

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice Article. Can't wait to see what you will write about the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Be sure to keep checking back for new content. Definitely on Saturday. I'll have a new post every Saturday evening.

    ReplyDelete