Monday, October 28, 2013

Harvest Time 2013

It is that time here in the Midwest. On days when the sun is shining and the ground is mostly dry farmers will race to the fields to complete the most important of farming jobs.

Harvest.

Beans are usually first, and are notorious for how dusty and dirty they are. Pay attention if driving through the country with your windows down, because the watery eyes and choking cough from driving through a cloud of bean dust is NOT WORTH IT. (I wouldn't know from personal experience or anything.... no... not at all.)


John asked me to come pick him up and take him back to the house
so he could bring some more wagons over to the field.
Blue skies and golden bean fields.
Perfect.

Trucks are red and tractors are green.
There is a bumper sticker in the store where Austin works that says that.
I always thought it applied to us.

"Old school" farming with the 4020.

More recently, I got the chance to ride with John in the combine while he was working on corn.
He wasn't really expecting me to show up in the field, and I think I might have scared him a little bit when I just showed up out of nowhere. It is wise to never sneak up on big machinery. I didn't mean to walk up behind him I swear!


I wasn't exactly sure where he was combining at.
So I sort of ended up behind him.
 But it turned into a rather cool picture, so I'm okay with it.

The view from the cab.
Don't ask me how a person manages to line everything up correctly
so that the stalk feed into the combine.
I don't think I could do it.


Dumping the combine hopper into the Kill Bros. wagon. 
The "boys" (Austin and John) are still working on getting all the grain in. I think John said this morning there are 47 1/2 acres to go, and we might end up helping another farmer combine his corn. Not sure though.


No comments:

Post a Comment