Sunday, March 10, 2013

This completely explains my love of Jane Austen

So last week a friend of mine at school mentioned these awesome videos in class.

They are called, the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. They are what Pride and Prejudice would be if told through a series of vlogs.

I started watching them after we got Issue 11 of the Kaleidoscope sent to the printer last Thursday, and I LOVE THEM.


What really gets me about these videos is that they very closely follow the original novel, but they are set in modern times, not 1813.

I've often talked with friends about Jane Austen, and why her novels amaze me so much. I've even said it before in this blog. 200 years after her novels were published we are still reading them. They still resonate with young women (and men) all over the world. We still go through the same heartaches, disappointments, and triumphs that Jane's characters go through. But even still, why would a 21st Century girl feel that Jane Austen is one of her closest friends? (It might make me a total nerd, but that is really how I feel. Jane just gets it.)

These videos take what has ultimately proved to be a timeless story, Pride and Prejudice, and place its characters in a modern setting. Details of the story are changed only slightly to make it more believable for modern viewers, and what do you know? We have a youtube hit.


I also love these videos because I felt like I was reading a book. I am really emotionally attached to these characters. I am having a really hard time reminding myself that is NOT really Lizzie Bennett and she is really NOT meeting Mr. Darcy. I love when that happens with movies and television shows. I now follow as many of the characters that I could find on Twitter. (How cool is THAT?!)


I really adore these videos. I haven't gotten to watch all the "side" stories yet. Lydia has her own set of videos, Maria Lucas has her own set of videos, and so does Mary Bennett. There are also unnumbered Q&A videos that I haven't gotten to watch. (Give me a break! I've only had a couple of days!) That is probably what I'll do tonight after I get my work finished.

....Now if only someone would do this with Persuasion....

What do you think of these videos? Have you watched them? Will you watch them?
Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment