Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A SNOW DAY!!!! in March....

 Well. Today is the fifth of March. After waiting all winter for it to snow, it finally came down and blanketed the world.  I woke up early this morning to John tapping on the porch window at the dogs (which can be REALLY loud). I checked my phone, and sure enough there was a text message from the local news station that Kishwaukee College was closed today. You know what that means....

...SNOW DAY!

Front yard. Yes, those are  Austin's snowmobile tracks.
I spent pretty much the whole morning in my pajamas. Austin was a little more ambitious and rode a 50 mile loop on his snowmobile before lunch. After lunch he decided to go back out and get some more riding in. That was when I finally got dressed and went outside.

I can hardly even explain to you the absolute peace and quiet that exists with snow. The snow seems to suck up every last noise from the dogs running to the cats meowing. I couldn't even hear Austin's sled. I walked to the end of our drive to see if I could see him back in the field when I realized I couldn't even hear him! I couldn't see anything either. The nuclear plant is only a mile or so away from here, but I couldn't see the cooling towers at all. It truly fees like we are in a snow globe.

Rex playing in the trees of the windbreak. The dogs love the snow.

Rex

The cattle hanging out in the feed lot. These were the only cows that were out. Everyone else was hiding in the buildings.
If you know Austin, it won't be surprising to see him doing something as crazy as this on his snowmobile. (Wait until this summer when he gets on a four wheeler. Yikes.) This is nothing compared with what he usually does. He always tells me the story of the winter he did a BARREL ROLL. Yes, you read that correctly. Actually, he did it twice. He did it once and no one saw him, so he rode and told his cousin to come back and watch him, and then managed to do it again.

He says it is the coolest thing he has ever done on a snowmobile. I think the coolest thing that he has ever done is SURVIVED.
Yes. My boyfriend is a nut. He built a ramp with the snow he plowed from the snowstorm last week. Then jumped it with his sled.

Again, here he is jumping.

We haven't plowed yet since the snow is still coming down. I'm sure we are going to have even bigger ramps... great...

So how is the weather where you are? Is it snowing? Is it warm? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment