Saturday, April 13, 2013

Camera Obscura -- Art History Project

What a busy semester it has been! Now that things are finally winding down, hopefully I can put a little more time into my blog, and less into the Kaleidoscope. I can't believe that I only have one issue left!

For my Art History class final project, my teacher gave us two options. We could either write a research paper, or we could build a camera obscura. A what? A camera obscura.

This video explains what it is really well.


So basically, light is freaking weird. If you take a room in your house, make it completely dark, and then let in just a tiny hole of light, all the rays of light will bend and project a picture of whatever is outside, inside. It applies to Art History because it is believed that is how Vermeer painted his paintings and studied color.

I guilted Austin into helping me. He didn't believe it would work. Honestly, I didn't think that I could get it to work either.

But guess what?!

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!
How cool is that? Mine isn't quite as bright or as clear as the one in the video. I think it was too cloudy outside to really get a good projection. I'm just happy that it worked!


So what do you guys think? Have you ever seen anything like that before? What was the coolest project you ever did in school? Tell me in the comments below!

1 comment: