Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nuke Plant

So you might have heard.




The Nuclear Power plant near where I live had to let off Radioactive Steam. The second reactor shut down for an unknown reason thus releasing the steam. Now, my house is quite a ways away from the plant, but my boyfriends house is very very close. It is often the subject matter of my pictures. The towers really are majestic.


My boyfriend built his practice motocross track under some highlines that run through their field.  Those highlines run power from the plant to Chicago.
This is roughly a mile from the plant.
I like the way the steam from the towers adds to the beauty of the sunsets.

They say that the steam is safe. The radiation levels are so low that they will just dissapate in the air, and that no one is in any danger. But you have to wonder how sure they are when they say that. They don't even know what caused the reactor to shut down yet, so how do they know that Tridium is all that was realeased in the steam? I dunno. I'm not a scientist, I'm just a person who has looked at those towers everyday of my life and wonders what is really going on over there.


For those of you who don't know, the towers both shut down quite regularly for cleanings and what not. So it isn't the fact that it shut down that scares me. It is that they don't know why.

4 comments:

  1. Just read this...good blog btw. I have a cousin who is an Electrical Engineer for Excelon/ComEd in Cordova, IL..he said the levels were not high enough to hurt anything, they are less radioactive than the sun's rays. He said it's a controlled release but he did not explain why they had to shut it down. I am sure we will never know either, sometimes too much information that no one else can comprehend causes people to panic. He also mentioned that it happens all of the time at other reactors, for some reason people made a big deal about it this time. I am however glad that everything is ok and nothing crazy happened.

    ReplyDelete